DEMA is currently offering unpaid internships to individuals seeking a career in Emergency Management. This internship is best suited for undergraduates and graduate students studying degrees in Emergency Management or closely related fields.
The Emergency Management internship program offers students hands-on experience in many facets of Emergency Management. Students will work side-by-side with DEMA/EM staff and gain exposure to multifaceted government coordination with federal, state, local, and tribal partners. This assignment also provides an opportunity for students to explore career options, apply academic knowledge and skills to the workplace, gain career skills, build resumes, and network with professionals in their fields of interest.
Emergency Management Intern Projects
Emergency Management Interns provide technical and/or administrative assistance in emergency preparedness, operations, and planning projects including:
- Preparedness, including planning, mitigation, and training
- Exercise design and development
- Operational coordination
- Geographic Information Services (GIS)
- Assisting staff in the day-to-day operations within the Emergency Management Division
- Answering inquiries by phone and through written communications
- Preparing documents and reports
- Assisting with research assignments and special projects
- Attending meetings and community events
Depending on the requirements of the program, interns may work between 12 - 24 hours per week. Attendance for the entirety of the internship semester is required even if minimum hours are attained sooner. Hours must be scheduled in 4-to-8-hour blocks of time during regular business hours (Monday through Friday between 8 A.M. and 5 P.M.). Tuesday attendance is required each week. Applicants able to schedule the maximum hours listed for the internship typically gain more in-depth experience.
- Must currently be enrolled at an Arizona public or private university as an undergraduate or graduate student taking the internship for credit.
- Candidates will be required to submit to a criminal background investigation.
How to Apply
Emergency Management recruits interns for the Spring, Summer, and Fall semesters. To apply, contact your Arizona university liaison or by contacting one of the intern coordinators listed below.
DEMA Human Resources
EM Training and Development Coordinator