Maj General Troy T. Daniels
Maj. Gen. Troy Tupper Daniels serves as the Assistant Adjutant General for Air, and Air Component Commander, for the Arizona Air National Guard. He is responsible for leadership and direction of the state’s F-16/MQ-9 Wing, KC-135 Air Refueling Wing, and over 2,700 Airmen with the mission to provide operationally trained, equipped, and ready forces in support of national defense requirements worldwide, and emergency response capability throughout Arizona and the surrounding region. In addition, General Daniels is dual-hatted as the Air National Guard Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force for International Affairs.
General Daniels earned his Air Force commission in 1990 through the Reserve Officer Training Corps at Montana State University with a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering. He has been a full-time guardsman since completing 10 years of active duty service. His operational flying assignments include F-16’s, MQ-1B’s, KC-135’s, and T-38’s totaling over 4,000 hours. General Daniels had
multiple commands at the Squadron level, as well as commands at the Group and Wing level. Heflew in support of Overseas Contingency Operations in multiple theaters while deployed in place at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. He also served as the Executive Officer for the Vice Chief National Guard Bureau, and as the Deputy Adjutant General for the Arizona National Guard. Prior to his current assignment, the General was the Joint Task Force Commander for Arizona, Joint Force Headquarters, Phoenix, Arizona.
1990 Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Montana State University, Bozeman, Mont.
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2012 Air War College, by correspondence
1. December 1990 – January 1992, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Reese AFB, Texas
2. January 1992 – January 1993, Base Exercise Evaluation Team, Reese AFB, Texas
3. January 1993 – April 1994, F-16 Flight Training, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. April 1994 – January 1997, F-16 Pilot, Squadron Scheduler, and Squadron Electronic Combat Officer, 14th Fighter Squadron, Misawa AB, Japan.
5. February 1997 – August 2000, T-38 Instructor Pilot, and Chief of Squadron Standardization & Evaluation, 87th Flying Training Squadron, Laughlin AFB, Texas
6. August 2000 – August 2001, F-16 Transition and Instructor Pilot Training, 162nd Operations Group, AZ ANG, Tucson, Ariz.
7. August 2001 – May 2008, F-16 Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, Squadron Long Range Scheduler, and Assistant Director of Operations, 148th Fighter Squadron, AZ ANG, Tucson, Ariz.
8. May 2008 – April 2009, F-16 Flight Examiner, Instructor Pilot, Wing Standardization & Evaluation Officer, 162nd Operations Group, AZ ANG, Tucson, Ariz.
9. April 2009 – December 2010, Director of Operations, 148th Fighter Squadron, AZ ANG, Tucson, Ariz.
10. December 2010 – April 2011, Director of Operations, Operations Support Squadron, 162nd Operations Group, AZ ANG, Tucson, Ariz.
11. May 2011 – September 2013, Commander, 214th Reconnaissance Squadron, AZ ANG, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
12. October 2013 – December 2014, Commander, 162nd Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, AZ ANG, Tucson, Ariz.
13. January 2015 – December 2015, Commander, 214th Reconnaissance Group, AZ ANG, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
14. December 2015 – January 2018, Commander, 161st Air Refueling Wing, AZ ANG, Goldwater ANG Base, Phoenix, Ariz.
15. January 2018 – March 2019, Executive Officer for Vice Chief, National Guard Bureau, the Pentagon, Washington, District of Columbia
16. April 2019 – July 2019, Director of Staff-Air, AZ Joint Force Headquarters, AZ ANG, Papago Park Military Reservation, Phoenix, Ariz.
17. July 2019 – Nov 2020, Deputy Adjutant General, AZ Joint Force Headquarters, AZ NG, Papago Park Military Reservation, Phoenix, Ariz.
18. December 2020 – January 2023, Commander, Joint Task Force Arizona, AZ NG, Papago Park Military Reservation, Phoenix, Ariz.
19. January 2023 – Present, Assistant Adjutant General-Air, AZ Joint Force Headquarters, AZ ANG, Papago Park Military Reservation, Phoenix, Ariz; dual-hatted, January 2023 – Present, Air National Guard Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force for International Affairs, Washington, D.C.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 4,000
Aircraft flown: F-16, KC-135R, MQ-1, T-38
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 26, 1990
First Lieutenant July 26, 1992
Captain July 26, 1994
Major Aug. 15, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 15, 2008
Colonel Jan. 22, 2015
Brigadier General July 14, 2019
Major General Jan. 7, 2023
(Current as of January 2023)